Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns

2001-11-26 14:16:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns
From: gyurchak AT veritas DOT com (Gregg Yurchak)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:16:59 -0500
If it's causing a problem at your site, you could consider locating the NDMP
catalog info on a separate mount inside db/images, and then only mounting it
in when doing NetApp backups or restores.  If it's performance on NetApp
restores and we're talking about the catalog being on a hardware RAID setup,
you could carve out small luns, one for each month, and only mount in the
necessary month(s) to get the restore, and just keep the current month
mounted all the time for regular backups.  If you've got all the NetApp
catalog files on a separate backup tape, they wouldn't even have to be
mounted in during normal catalog backups.

I just made all that up, so it'd probably need some testing before getting
put into practice.  But I don't see a problem with it offhand.

Thanks,
Gregg Yurchak
VERITAS Professional Services
Biloxi, MS