Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Notification script...

2001-11-21 12:49:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Notification script...
From: Robert.L.Harris AT rdlg DOT net (Robert L. Harris)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:49:14 -0700
  I have an odd one.  I'm hoping someone can chime in with a pre-cut wheel.
I need to send out notification via email to a list conserning the backups
for the last 24 hours.  I have a script that prunes the log for the last
24 hours at 7:00am (backups finish at 5:00am) and then looks for non-0
exit codes.

  This has been working very well except for a few odd ocasions where a
job is re-run after 7:00am and has a failure.

  The most common problem of this is one of the DBA jobs that runs at
10:00am.  The report generates based on yesterday morning instead of
this morn/last night.  Yesterday the 10:00 had problems due to missing
media.  The job was successfully re-run around 11:00 with no problems.
The script ran happily at 7:00 am this morning and saw the 10:00 failure
and reported a failure.  We had to go back to the DBA's and Managers
and explain it.  Either way it sounded bad because the report showed
the failed backup, even if it had been fixed an hour after it failed.

  Is there a way to tell reports to give the last instance of a job
running or does someone have a script that'll do some sorting like
this?

Robert

:wq!
                                \_       that important!