Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ensuring drives are mapped correctly in a SAN env.

2001-11-17 17:47:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ensuring drives are mapped correctly in a SAN env.
From: prasadchalikonda AT yahoo DOT com (Prasad Chalikonda)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:47:44 -0500
Is there a recommended procedure to ensure drives in a Unix env. with
SSO are mapped correctly?

Let's say my Library has 10 drives, and the device files on my Master go
from 0cbn to 9cbn.
My strategy is:
1. Manually load a tape in to each drive in the Library.
2. From the server, do an   "mt   -f   /dev/rmt/0cbn offline", and note
the drive# the tape is ejected from.
3. Let's say it was Drive 1 in the Library. Drives in the Library for
NBU go from 1 on up, right? In NBU Drive Configuration, I make sure when
I type the device file as "/dev/rmt/0cbn", the drive is "Drive 1".
4. Repeat step 2 for each drive and note down correspong the Drive #
which ejects the tape.

Is this a good and sufficient test to ensure everything will work
properly? Does anyone have a better way of doing this?

Thanks very much.
Prasad.