Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question: Do I need to use Volume Pools or not?

2001-11-06 16:12:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question: Do I need to use Volume Pools or not?
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:12:11 -0500
This may be a simple question, but it's one I would appreciate some advice
on as I set up our NBU environment: do I need to use Volume Pools to manage
my tapes or not?
   My set-up consists of NBU 3.4.1 on Solaris 2.6; one master server (E420R)
and one media server (Ultra 10), each with a Sun L9 (Quantum 8000, 9-tape
library); 12 clients plus the two servers (for a total of 14).
   My question is this: I have the 14 clients divided into two groups, based
on functionality, and I want them to back up to one or the other of the
L9's. I created two Storage Units (one on each server, obviously), so this
shouldn't be a problem. I plan to perform daily incremental back-ups, weekly
full back-ups, and monthly full back-ups -- all on different retention
schedules -- and my question is whether I need to create six Volume Pools
(two servers times three retention periods), or will NBU handle this for me
automatically?
   I intend to yank all the tapes every Monday and rotate them off-site, so
I guess I'll re-add the tapes (when they've been sent back from off-site due
to their age) into the Pool they were used in before...right? Or doesn't it
matter?
   Many thanks for any suggestions. I have read through the books, but
sometimes I get overwhelmed by the sheer bulk of it -- so pointers to a
succinct explanation won't offend me.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt