Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring Archived data

2001-10-30 12:03:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring Archived data
From: dhicks AT Houston.GeoQuest.SLB DOT COM (David Hicks)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:03:07 -0600
--=====================_14490746==_.ALT

Sorry all, suppose I jumped the gun abit, but this is useful information
nonetheless.
I was finally able to see the archived data using the bp command (restore,
and then archive etc...) but only after I had navigated to the data in the
java gui console (the one started by jnbsa).  Once I could see the data
info in the java gui, I was then able to restart bp and see the data in
that interface (the one I usually use becaise it is faster).  I dont
understand why this would be...

Thanks

  At 10:15 AM 10/30/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>When browse the images you are telling NBU that it is a user archive you
>are looking for, right?
>

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>David A. Chapa
>NetBackup Consultant
>DataStaff, Inc.
><http://www.consulting.datastaff.com/>http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
>847 413 1144
>---------------------------------------
>NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
><http://www.xbpadm-commands.com/>http://www.xbpadm-commands.com

nonetheless.<br>
I was finally able to see the archived data using the bp command
(restore, and then archive etc...) but only after I had navigated to the
data in the java gui console (the one started by jnbsa).&nbsp; Once I
could see the data info in the java gui, I was then able to restart bp
and see the data in that interface (the one I usually use becaise it is
faster).&nbsp; I dont understand why this would be...<br>
Thanks<br>
&nbsp;At 10:15 AM 10/30/2001 -0600, you wrote:<br>
color="#0000FF">When
browse the images you are telling NBU that it is a user archive you are
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
size=2>&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;<br>
David A. Chapa<br>
NetBackup Consultant<br>
DataStaff, Inc.<br>
<a
href="http://www.consulting.datastaff.com/";>http://www.consulting.datastaff.com</a><br>
847 413 1144<br>
---------------------------------------<br>
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting<br>
<a
href="http://www.xbpadm-commands.com/";>http://www.xbpadm-commands.com</a></font><font
 size=3>
<dl><font face="tahoma" size=2>
<dd>-----Original Message-----
<dd>From:</b> veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu [<a
href="mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu"
eudora="autourl">mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a>]On
Behalf Of </b>David Hicks
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, October 30, 2001 9:44 AM
<dd>To:</b> veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
<dd>I wrote a script which would create a filelist, to be used by bparchive
during archiving.&nbsp; The idea was that users would dump old journal logs
etc..that needed to be kept, but not on disk.&nbsp; I ran into 2
problems.&nbsp;
<dd>1.&nbsp; bparchive worked fine, but it not only removed files, but the
directory structure as well.&nbsp; To overcome this I used find to create a
list of all the files I wanted backed up and removed. this worked great
<dd>2.&nbsp; Later after some testing with simple files/directories I began
implementation of the script on some &quot;not crucuial&quot; files.&nbsp; This
is where I run into problems.&nbsp; The backup seems to work fine, as does the
removal of files.&nbsp; However I run into problems trying to recover the data
from tape.&nbsp; Using the bp interface (and the restore, archive commands) I
never can seem to find the archived files...am I just missing something
altogather ?.&nbsp;
<dd>I can&nbsp; see the images on tape (using reports), am I going to have to
recover this manually ? Does NBU handle archived data differently somehow ?
<dd>I am doing all of this using NBU 3.4.1 running in a Solaris (2.6-2.8)
environment.
<dd>Comments, clues will be appreciated<br>

<dd>David<br>

<dd>David L. Hicks</b>
<dd>IT Operations<br>
<dd>Schlumberger Oil &amp; Gas Information Solutions</font>
<dd>Data Management Center</b>
<dd>5444 Westheimer, Suite 800
<dd>Houston, Tx 77056
<dd>713-350-4219 Office