Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Offsite storage companies

2001-10-23 16:53:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Offsite storage companies
From: kovar AT ciena DOT com (Kovar, David)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:53:39 -0700
Greetings,

We used to use Arcus and we just switched to Recall. Each has it's share of
issues, and both require a bit of squeaking periodically to get the results
you want. I've also talked to people in other parts of the country about
both firms and they seem to vary from location to location. In one area,
Arcus might be better. In another, Recall.

My current issues, at the moment, with Recall are:

1) The web entry form for submitting tapes to be picked up seems to only
work with Internet Explorer. This means I have to go find a Windows machine
to do my tape management. I've not had the time to pursue this with them
yet.

2) They've been sending DLT tapes back in boxes that are designed for
something smaller, perhaps 8mm tapes. The tapes are wedged into the box and
require a bit of force to get out. And when I need to send back more than
four tapes, I need to use multiple boxes. I've been promised that this will
be addressed.

3) They stick their own barcodes on the DLT cases, so each tape has it's own
barcode and the Recall barcode. The Recall barcode includes our barcode plus
a customer number. The problem is that I now spend a fair bit of time making
sure that I'm putting tape 000086 into the case 000086. I'm pretty certain
that I'll need to pull all of our tapes back if I put 000086 into the case
for 000087 and need it back at some point.

On the plus side:

1) They've not missed a pickup yet.
2) The tape management system seems to work well. It's a lot better than
filling out paper forms by hand. (I print out the final form and the driver
signs it, so I still have a paper trail.)
3) The customer support people seem to be on the ball.

-David