Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #736 - 11 msgs

2001-10-18 13:40:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #736 - 11 msgs
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:40:35 -0700 (PDT)
If you're not getting at least 15 GB/hr from your DLT7000 drive,
there's very likely some fixing that needs to be done.

At less than for DLT drive is not "streaming", which essentially means
the drive is wasting additional time on contant head repositioning.
Below is my "quick and dirty" explanation of what happens when a
streaming-type tape drive doesn't get fed fast enough:

     1-incoming data stream begins

     2-tape spins up to write the incoming data

     3-the data buffer is written to tape

     4-look for more data, but it's not arrived yet!  (the tape is
spinning fast enough that we've gotten a bit ahead of ourselves at this
point)

     5-stop the tape, rewind to the last bit that got written

arrived and piled up during step 4)

the end result is that your tape drive writes even more slowly than the
incoming stream of data.

The solution:  depends on the problem, but it's probably one or more of
the following:
    -tweaking the buffer sizes on the media server.  tweaking the
netbackup data buffers has been discussed at length on this list.
    -use of multiplexing
    -improvement of network bandwidth into the media server
    -use of FlashBackup (if your backup happens to be slow because of a
large number of small files)

HTH
rob