Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: DLT 7K speeds

2001-10-18 09:46:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: DLT 7K speeds
From: erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com (erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:46:07 -0400
Hi Benr,

DLT 7000 speeds should be about 15 gigs/hour.  4-5 megs/sec.  I would like to
ask you if you are using a drive that is attached to this 400 gig server or if
you are actually going trough a network.

If network, then I would check the network utilization.  (E.g. is the bandwith
shared etc? )

With the speeds you are seing (it would take 3-4 days to backup the data), if
this is a production database and backed up trough the same network as
production data uses, this could explain your problem.
If this is on a different lan segment, then I would check the switch speed and
duplex settings (Auto negotiate on-off etc) and match them with my server.

Also there is a way to slow down your backups with a bo.conf parameter limit
badwith or something like that.

If this is over SSO e.g. direct connect tape drive, I would check my subsystem
utilization v.s. backup speed, if there is no bottle neck there, try scsi
connections, and drive it self (we have had drives that were slow until they
were replaced).  (perhaps do a direct tar to the drive and see what speed you
get, compare it with the netbackup speed etc).

I hope this helps,

Yucel

Yucel M. Erbilgic
erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com