Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fragment size settings

2001-10-17 11:55:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fragment size settings
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:55:47 -0500
and I know of one price you pay for the use of fragment size:
complication of a "non-NBU" tape restore, i.e. reading from a NetBackup
tape using only tar.

Without fragmentation, a single 10GB backup image = a single 10GB tar
file. But with a fragment size of 2000, that 10GB backup image is now 5
separate tar files.

Unlike the use of multiplexing, fragmenting is not necessarily a
"showstopper" when considering this aspect of NetBackup's DR
capabilities, but if you really want to be prepared for tar-only
NetBackup restores, you MUST understand the effect fragmentation has on
your media contents. (and you'd be smart to write a script to automate
all the tar commands...)

HTH
rob