Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Incrementals with TIR and without Archive Bit back up almost full images

2001-10-12 09:19:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Incrementals with TIR and without Archive Bit back up almost full images
From: Gerd.Leibrock AT KNO-BS DOT de (Gerd.Leibrock AT KNO-BS DOT de)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:19:39 +0200
We use Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) as backup software, but we are now
testing Veritas Netbackup.

TSM doesn't allow incrementals based on the Archive Bit because everybody
can change it. Netbackup offers this method as a default!

TSM doesn't allow incrementals with "un-true" images. Netbackup offers
"True" Image Recovery (TIR), but default is without TIR!

I think we must use Netbackup without Archive Bit and with TIR to do
professional backups as we can do with TSM.

But Netbackup has a bug, and an incremental with TIR backs up almost an
entire server, i. e. more than 200 GB instead of some 5-10 GB.

I wonder if we are the only ones using TIR, because it seems that Veritas
knows the problem but cannot say any timeline when it will be fiixed.

Gerd Leibrock
EDV-Systemprogrammierung

Koch, Neff & Oetinger & Co. GmbH
Schockenriedstraße 37
70565 Stuttgart

Telefon:        +49 711 7860 2393
Fax:            +49 711 7819834 2393
E-Mail:         mailto:Gerd.Leibrock AT kno-bs DOT de
Internet:       http://www.buchkatalog.de