Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] optimal backup performance

2001-10-05 20:22:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] optimal backup performance
From: anthony.soprano AT home DOT com (anthonys)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:22:51 -0400
The L700 can hold a lot of drives.

How many drives and media servers do you have?
Are you using multiplexing?
Are you using multistreaming?
You are using switches, are all the media servers (if there are others
besides the master...) on one switch?
If yes to previous, how fast is that switches uplink(100Mbit/1Gbit)?

Many things can influence backup performance.  If you have an L-700 with say
12 DLT7000 drives, I would suggest using 3 media servers, and a dedicated
master server with local scsi disks.  Set each media server to have 4 drives
and use 3 for backups by editing the storage unit property "number of drives
used for backups" to be 3.

Multiplexing can safely be set to 3, IMHO.  You may want to go higher if you
have a lot of clients and they are slow, but the backup servers have
excellent bandwidth.

You should be able to get your media servers to pull about 10,000KB sec (as
view thru activity monitor) per fast ethernet connect.  If your media
servers are all on the same switch with a single fast ethernet uplink, then
they are all competing for the same 100Mbit pipe.

Try to get 2000+KB/sec for Full backups.  If all jobs are slow for a client
check the NIC on the client and ensure it is HARD set to the fastest speed
it and its switch will support.  AUTO NEGOTIATE is a very BAD thing for
backups speeds.

HTH.  I am new to the list, but not Netbackup-

A.S.