Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ATL7100 Auto-insert

2001-10-03 19:29:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ATL7100 Auto-insert
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:29:13 -0500
When the "unit attention" is detected, does NetBackup wait for the robot to
move the tape and then update its inventory or does NetBackup tell the robot
where to put the tape?

If NetBackup updates it's inventory after the robot has moved it, the same
problem would occur... the robot doesn't know NetBackup wants to return the
mounted tape to the same slot when it's done and could put the new tape here.

If NetBackup senses the "unit attention" and then initiates something similar
to a "vmupdate -empty_ie", that would still require the hardware auto-insert
to be disabled on the library.

The article doesn't mention which way it occurs or that hardware auto-insert
needs to be disabled, but my guess is that NetBackup initiates the move.  Is
this correct?

Scott

                    Larry Kingery

                    <larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com>          To:
"Gregory, Gavin" <Gavin.Gregory AT airnz.co DOT nz>
                    Sent by:                             cc:     veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
Re: [Veritas-bu] ATL7100 Auto-insert
                    auburn.edu

                    10/03/2001 03:59 PM

                    Please respond to

                    larry.kingery

This may help you.

"An option has been added to NetBackup to allow a robot with a media
access port to be automatically emptied and inventoried into the
NetBackup database."

Gregory, Gavin writes:
> Hello,
>
> We are running an ATL7100 library and have started striking a problem now
> that it's nearly full.
>
> If an operator inserts media thru the mailslots while there are tapes
> currently in the drives, the new volumes are sometimes moved to the
> temporarily empty slots that are still assigned in Netbackup to the media in
> the drives.  When the tape is removed from the drive the library attempts to
> return it to the same slot it was originally taken from, fails and downs the
> drive.
>
> Is there a way around this without disabling the auto-insert on the library
> and moving the new media to known available slots?
>
> Thanks, Gavin

> CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.

Larry Kingery
            "Robots should be RESPECTFUL."  -- Calvin, to Hobbes