Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how much tape left?

2001-09-28 17:17:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how much tape left?
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:17:09 -0500
the retention level for a tape is associated with whatever length you
configure (e.g. ret level 4 could be 6 months).

the exp date for a tape in media manager and exp date for a tape in NetBackup
are different.

exp date for a tape in media manager tells how long the tape has been in the
environment (e.g. tape was introduced into the system 5 years ago, I'll toss
it now)

exp date for a tape in NetBackup is always changing...
- media server needs a tape for ret level x backups... do I have one? (unless
mult ret allowed, then it justs asks do I have a tape?)
- if not, go to media manager and ask for an available tape
- tape gets assigned to that media server
- backup is written
- exp date is set on backup image in catalog and same date set on tape within
NetBackup

this keeps happening, but each time the exp date on the tape is changed to the
new exp date (actually, whichever is longest.  new or current... which will
always be the same as the backup just written unless you've allowed mult
retentions)

the backup images are purged from the catalog as they expire.  the tape stays
assigned and will not reuse the space from the expired backup images.  when
the last backup image on the tape expires and there are no valid images left
on the tape, the tape will also expire and becomes unassigned.

- Scott

                    "Johnson,

                    Tony                 To:     "'scott.kendall AT abbott DOT
com'" <scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com>
                    -Research"           cc:     "Veritas-Bu (E-mail)"
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    <gjohnson@ADM        Subject:     RE: [Veritas-bu] how much
tape left?
                    WORLD.com>

                    09/28/2001

                    02:55 PM

I just noticed that :-(  After looking at the available_media , it appears
that tapes themselves have thier own retention because they are different
from the ones I programmed in the classes.  I'm not going to be able to
restore properly if the tapes are overwriting themselves when I don't want
them to...  I don't see any option to change this is media manager...