Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN media vs "regular" media & SSO

2001-09-27 16:30:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN media vs "regular" media & SSO
From: Kevin_Trotman AT AFCC DOT com (Trotman, Kevin)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:30:31 -0500
1.

3.2 and below would be SSO.

3.4 and above would be San Media License. It replaces the SSO functionality.
It provides locking for multiple machine writes to a single tape drive (IE:
multi-hosted drive support). You don't get multi-hosted drives with a
regular Media License.

2.

It's totally different. Conceptually at least. In a SAN, you're configuring
how many drives a machine can use at one time, not how many drives are
actually cabled to the machine (because all would be visible by the
machine). Its a way of controlling load balancing in software. If you have
two machines & ten drives, you can configure them as: 5/5 or 7/3 or 9/1. It
all depends on how much each machine is backing up.

3.

No, I think SSO is still bantered around some, but a SAN Media license is
the same thing for 3.4 & above.

4.

Regular media server = all of them.
San media server = all of them.

Course you'd actually be able to do backups to them correctly with a SAN
Media server license. ;)  You don't need SSO for this config if you're
getting 3.4 or 4.5.