Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VCS and Netbackup

2001-09-25 18:12:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VCS and Netbackup
From: sreikhy AT hotmail DOT com (SUCHIT REIKHY)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:12:22 -0400
I am in the process of evaluating how a combination of VCS and Netbackup can
provide reliable data protection to an enterprise environment. I am aware
that VCS has a Netbackup bundled agent. But I was not able to find any
documentation which states what kind of a failover support is built into
this bundled agent. Here are some things that I am looking to answer:-

1. What kind of a configuration I need to have if my intention is that in
the event that the node which has the backup server goes down the backup
software is failed over to a secondary node and the backups are resumed? Is
this possible or am i asking for too much. I am just trying to ensure that
my backup is reliable and happens all the while as desired.

2. If my backup server is not on a node in the cluster but I use it to
backup the data residing on the cluster(databases), how should I configure
the client in order to provide ha and again reliable backup of my data.

3. How does scalability or role balancing occur for backup jobs? Is it
policy based depending upon the system load or it has to be preconfigured:
for instance designating a group of agents to be backed up by a particular
Master Server etc. Is there any restriction on the sharing of storage units?

Is there any case study available on such an installation for reference?

Thanks
Suchit

PS: As always I will summarize.