Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reserving drives

2001-09-20 12:15:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reserving drives
From: lkingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
Jeff Kennedy writes:
> I have several instances of Informix, Oracle, and SQL Server.  We are
> attempting to migrate these to NBU but our dba has concerns over drive
> availability; if these databases can't get a drive before the logs fill
> they will shut down.  This is a valid concern as we have had this happen
> previously to a test Informix database, although we only had 2 non-NDMP
> drives at the time.  Now we have 3 and it hasn't happened since, but we
> are looking to add at least 10 more db instances.
>
> I want to reserve a certain number of drives for db's only.  Suggestions
> on the best way to do this?  I assume it's possible given what I can
> discern from the section on storage units in the MM guide but nothing
> definitive and no how-to.

If you have only three drives, you can define a storage unit with say
one drive and point all your backups at it, except the logs.  Create
another storage unit for your log backups which has three drives.
Yes, this adds up to more than three drives, but that's okay.  Your
just telling different types of backups the maximum number of drives
they may use if available.

Might want to consider multiplexing so you can get more than three
streams going.

> I have an E250 as the master server (and only media server) running
> Solaris 7.  It's connected to an ATL P3000 and I'd like to keep this
> completely contained within the library.  I have no problem adding
> another media server that connects to the library also, if that's the
> best way to accomplish this.

Buying another library so that failure of the robot itself doesn't
take you down is an option.  Definitely need more drives and more disk
space to hold the logs from the sounds of it.  Another Sun and using
VCS to HA your master/media would be preferable to adding a media
server, IMO.  May want to consider how you can get your other backups
(and the logs too) done faster, for example faster network into the
master.

--
Larry Kingery
      Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.