Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reserving drives

2001-09-20 11:22:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reserving drives
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:22:57 -0400
Jeff,

I believe all you would have to do to accomplish this would be to build a
storage unit that has only the number of drives in it that you require and
assign your database backup classes to that storage unit. You will, of course,
have to reduce the number of tape drives in your other storage units since AI
don't believe they can overlap. The only exposure, as I see it, is that you
potentially have drives that will be sitting idle if there are no database
backups to be done. I've not heard of a way that allows for dynamic
allocation/deallocation of drives to storage units. What I have done is put all
(8) of my tape drives in one storage unit but have given the database backups a
higher priority than everything else. That way, when a drive becomes available,
they get first crack at it.

Hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "Jeff Kennedy" <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com> 09/20/01 10:34AM >>>
I have several instances of Informix, Oracle, and SQL Server.  We are
attempting to migrate these to NBU but our dba has concerns over drive
availability; if these databases can't get a drive before the logs fill
they will shut down.  This is a valid concern as we have had this happen
previously to a test Informix database, although we only had 2 non-NDMP
drives at the time.  Now we have 3 and it hasn't happened since, but we
are looking to add at least 10 more db instances.

I want to reserve a certain number of drives for db's only.  Suggestions
on the best way to do this?  I assume it's possible given what I can
discern from the section on storage units in the MM guide but nothing
definitive and no how-to.

I have an E250 as the master server (and only media server) running
Solaris 7.  It's connected to an ATL P3000 and I'd like to keep this
completely contained within the library.  I have no problem adding
another media server that connects to the library also, if that's the
best way to accomplish this.

Thanks.