Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] shared memory settings for FC99840 drives

2001-09-18 09:24:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] shared memory settings for FC99840 drives
From: Kevin_Trotman AT AFCC DOT com (Trotman, Kevin)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:24:36 -0500
Ok, Veritas in their infinite wisdom, always makes these recommendations:

/opt/ais/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS      262144
(1024x256)
/opt/ais/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ                    131078  (1024x128)
default is 32

/opt/ais/openv/netbackup/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS             32

The proposed formula is like this:
  size_of_shared_memory = (number of clients that backup in 1 window  x
max_jobs_per_client)
                              * (number_of_data_buffers  x
size_of_data_buffer

Ok, for each backup job: 32 data buffers (NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS) @ 256kb in
size (SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS)is 8mb of memory per process.

Now check your Max_jobs_per_client in your xbpadm/File/Netbackup
Configuration menu tab. Its probably at 2 or 4. Default is 2 I think, most
people have it at 4 or more. Then look at your client list. How many clients
does it say you have?

If you have 100 clients, and 4 jobs per client, then you're looking at (100
* 4 * 8MB) = 3200MB as the amount of memory you will need to support
backups...for those of you who didn't catch that, that's 3.2 gigabytes!

To sum up everything here, Netbackup is trying to malloc more memory to use
for backups and you just ran out because these recommendations are telling
it that you have several gigabytes of memory to use for backups on a machine
that is configured with 1GB of RAM.  ;)

The bright side is that your day can only get better from here. ;)

Kevin Trotman
Storage Management Group
Phone: 817-317-8048
Cell: 817-307-0451