Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: testing tapes

2001-09-12 11:39:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: testing tapes
From: Robert_Chae AT compuware DOT com (Chae, Robert)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:39:50 -0400

------_=_NextPart_000_01C13BA1.28F4CD70

We had problems with tapes and used PTI scsitools.  You can do basic checks
with it
to determine if tapes get media errors on them.  The only disadvantage is if
you want
to do a full diagnostic tests, it will wipe all data from the tape.  The
basic tests
were not that helpful, and in almost all cases reconfirmed why netbackup
froze the tapes in
the first place.  They were simply bad.  We now keep all bad tape frozen and
wait till they
expire before replacing the tape.

Robert Chae
Enterprise Storage Administrator