Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape management and buffers

2001-09-10 12:03:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape management and buffers
From: Matthew.Secaur AT cna DOT com (Secaur,Matthew J.)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:03:27 -0500
Dayal,
        Here is some input:

1)      If tapes keep freezing, there is probably a reason.  After NetBackup
gets a certain number of errors on a media, if freezes the media.  It's
possible that you have old, worn media, bad tape drives, or just tapes
drives with dirty heads (or any combination of those!).  Try cleaning the
drives and replacing some media and see if you can get the media to stop
being frozen.

2)      Changing the NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS will affect restores.  You should
also create a NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE that is exactly the same as the
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS.  I imagine the same rule applies for the
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS, but I'm not certain about that one.

3)      NET_BUFFER_SZ presumably controls the number of buffers used to pass
data across the network.  I'm not certain about this one, though.

I hope that's helpful.
                                                --Matt--