Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unwarranted STATUS 59 Error on Novell TargetClient

2001-09-06 10:52:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unwarranted STATUS 59 Error on Novell TargetClient
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:52:26 -0400
Checked with the NetTechs and found that there is only one NIC in this machine.
Thanks for the info though, it was worth a shot. I understand they've put a
Service Pack on the server and will reboot it today. We'll see if that changes
anything. The problem is there's not a lot of NetBackup commands available to
troubleshoot Novell clients. The logs aren't much of a help if you don't know
how to decipher them (I"m struggling). I see entries that say things don't
match throughout the log but that doesn't seem to effect the jobs (except one)
and they run to completion. The only way I noticed that the client is not
recognizing my master server is I turned on logging on the client.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Gerrit Bos <gbos AT uoguelph DOT ca> 09/06/01 10:40AM >>>
The straight copy eliminates a lot of the things which normally go wrong. (Eg.
master server as first entry in bp.ini.)

We've had similar problems with Novell servers which had two interfaces and
bound somewhat arbitrarily for their default routes or even restores going
through a different interface than backups and thus failing.  If the new server
has multiple interfaces, that's where I'd check.  (Second IP address might
appear in some of the logs, eg. from memory bpcd or bprd) After diagnosing this
the netware people (not me) have been able to fix it.
A traceroute can sometimes show detail that a ping doesn't.
When I've had the "lost in the forest" feeling, I've often gone back to
Appendix B in the troubleshooting guide.  Systematically force yourself to not
miss any trees :-)
I hope this helps a little bit.  Good luck....Gerrit