Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Buying a new Robot

2001-09-05 12:17:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Buying a new Robot
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:17:27 -0700
John,

I also really like the Scalar, but this is not the first time I've heard
about this problem between NetBackup and the Scalar 1000.  I wonder if this
is a problem with NetBackup, or with goofiness associated with the
Scalar?  I wonder if the 10,000 also has this problem.

I wonder if this problem will exist forever, or if someone at Veritas is
working with anyone at ADIC to make this problem go away.

At 01:49 PM 9/4/2001 -0500, John_Wang AT enron DOT net wrote:
>The ADIC Scalar 1000 starts off with one cabinet holding 237 slots and 12
>drives
>(if you use AIT2 technology) and is expandable to four cabinets either
>with slot
>only or slot and drives cabinets (a maximum of 1,024 slots).   I've got
>three of
>them and they have worked reasonably well.   One thing I don't like is that
>Netbackup has difficulty ejecting more than one tape at a time on the Scalar
>1000's even though the I/E port holds 18 tapes (Basically the vmchange -e -s
>command doesn't leave the tape in the I/E port after the timeout as it does on
>other changers so the ejection is either one at a time or scripted slot to
>mail
>slot instead of tape to mail slot).   Another thing that I don't like is that
>the I/E port's slots are fixed in the drawer so you still have to manually
>pull
>the tapes out of the slots after pulling the drawer out, it would be nice to
>have a magazine that one could pre-load and just swap like the
>Exabytes.   Other
>than that, it's fast, inexpensive, I've only had to replace the gripper
>once and
>so far no dropped tapes.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs,   your storage experts
Voice: 760 710 7017                            Fax: 760 710 7019
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com curtis AT backupcentral DOT com