Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Simulation

2001-09-05 16:42:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Simulation
From: Peter.McFarlane AT capitalone DOT com (McFarlane, Peter)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:42:00 -0400
     > As far as having NBU "do the reads, but not the writes", I have
     > heard rumors of a file that can be created that will put NBU into a
     > "non-writing" mode, i.e. all backups are written to /dev/null
     > instead of disk or tape.  But I don't know the details of that.

     I've not tried it but according to the notes for Veritas advanced
     NetBackup for unix course, to enable backups to /dev/null do the
     following:

     - Define a disk storage unit, such as /tmp.

     - Touch the file /usr/openv/netbackup/bpdm_dev_null This causes 0
     length fragments to go into the directory you defined as a storage
     unit and creates catalogue entries for the backups (get rid of these
     with bpexpdate).

     Presumably you remove the bpdm_dev_null file when you've finished
     testing although they don't explicitly state this in the
     instructions.....

     Peter McFarlane

The Information transmitted herewith is sensitive information intended only
for use to the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is