Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume group residency

2001-08-29 17:45:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume group residency
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:45:29 -0400 (EDT)
You're very close.

Remember that there are two products, NetBackup and Media Manger.

NetBackup has a mediaDB (on the media server), which is why you have
to use the -h flag and why it wants to mount the tape on the original
server by default.  Since the mediaDB lives on the media server, only
one server can write to a given tape (once it's written to and until
it expires - which corresponds to being assigned and your obervation
of the summary).

MM has the volDB, and that is where assignment is done.

Under normal operation, these two databases are kept in sync
automatically.

You can decomission a media server w/o ever having to do any imports.
It's a bit easier if you do it right while the system is still
available.