Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SQL client - status code 54

2001-08-24 09:32:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SQL client - status code 54
From: gyurchak AT veritas DOT com (Gregg Yurchak)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:32:55 -0400
I'm guessing this has nothing to do with SQL, and a backup of the problem
machine's file system would also fail with a 54.  There's three common
errors in the 50's.  59 means you could contact the client, but bpcd wasn't
running on the machine.  54 is usually you could connect and bpcd wasn't
running, but the media server trying to do the backup wasn't listed as a
server on the client (or in the event of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, the master wasn't
listed, as it has to first make contact with the client to determine how
many jobs are needed).  And lastly, you can often get 57, which usually
boils down to you get to the client on bpcd, and the calling machine is
listed as a server, but when that socket is dropped as per procedure, and a
new one is tried originating from the client for the actual backup data, the
client was unable to call back.

So it looks like the media server trying to make the connection isn't listed
as a server on the client.  Try putting in all the hostnames for it as
servers on the client, both FQ & short.

Gregg