Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unix or NT?

2001-08-23 15:07:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unix or NT?
From: ceverett AT virtual DOT com (Craig Everett)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:07:01 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_GVlxb8xdI1cTcE2galiOQw)

Here's a thought. Why would you deploy anything on Tru-64? Veritas certifies
Compaq Tru-64 very last as they roll out new software versions. I worked for
a company last year that rolled out Compaq Tru-Cluster as their production
cluster solution as well as Netbackup 3.2 server on Compaq Tru-64 5.1. At
that time Veritas did not support a Netbackup master or media server on
Tru-64 5.0 or 5.1 so we deployed Netbackup anyway and our entire Tru-64
backup solution was unsupported by Veritas. It took them 6 months to release
support Netbackup 3.2 server for Tru-64 5.0 and 5.1. This software release
latency isn't just a problem with Veritas but with every software vendor out
there. Tru-64 holds about 1% of the unix market share so there always the
last to get certified. Support is also a complete nightmare. Try to find an
engineer with any experience on Tru-64 to support your backup environment at
Veritas. Good luck.

Needless to say I've been burned by Tru-64.

Your better off with Sun Solaris or Win2K as master server.

Take this for what it's worth.

Thanks,

Craig Everett
PS Systems Consultant