Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing Up Oracle Using RMAN Without Using Veritas DB Extensions

2001-08-14 10:31:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing Up Oracle Using RMAN Without Using Veritas DB Extensions
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:31:52 -0400
Is anybody out there using NetBackup to do hot backups of Oracle databases
without using the Veritas DB Extension product?

I have licenses for (8) DB Extensions and I'm using (5) of them. The other (3)
are earmarked for another project. I have folks in several other business units
that want me to perform hot backups of their Oracle databases but when I told
them the cost of the DB Extension, it almost killed them. They are currently
using the RMAN utilities via scripting to perform the backups but the manual
tape management is getting them down. They want something a little more
automated that's not going to break the bank. If anybody out there is doing
this successfully, I'd sure like to here from you.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice