Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Qlogic + STK 9840

2001-08-09 00:30:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Qlogic + STK 9840
From: matty91 AT bellsouth DOT net (Ryn)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 00:30:00 -0400
I am trying to find some good documentation on how
to configure a Solaris
system to support a Qlogic PCI adaptor and a STK
9840 drive. I installed
the Qlogic drivers from Qlogic, and see the
related Qlogic messages on
bootup.

A few questions have arose which I cannot seem to
find solid answers for:

1) What does the hard alpa on a 9840 drive refer
to?
2) What exactly does a device use a LUN for in the
Fiber channel world?
3) Since the Qlogic card has a unique WWN, do
requests get addressed
     to this WWN which in turn sends them to the
drives? I would think something
      wishing to talk to a device would
communicate to the WWN of the device.
      If this is the case, why does the controller
need a WWN?

The steps I took to configure the drive and
Solaris 8 box were:

1) Install Qlogic drivers
2) change the WWN -> SCSI Id mapping in
qla2200.conf

hba0-SCSI-target-id-10-fibre-channel-name="2000002
037004ac9";
        /* WWN is not the one actually used */
3) Update the st.conf with the targets 10 (Qlogic
adaptor) and 14 for the
     hard alpa on teh 9840

reboot -- -r

Is this all that is needed for the OS to see the
drive and the controller?

If anyone has any comments or documents, I would
love to see anything.

Thanks,

Matty