Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Deny clients the permission for viewing or doing "user backups"

2001-08-01 12:40:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Deny clients the permission for viewing or doing "user backups"
From: mpareja AT iddeo DOT es (Mario Pareja)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:40:14 +0200
Hi all the group:

We have a SGI IRIX master server with Veritas Datacenter 3.4GA. We have a
lot of W2K clients, too.

The backups are done automatically from the server to the clients (scheduled
backups from the server, i mean)

The problem is we want the clients not to be able to do backups from the
client GUI (from the client side, i mean)

In other words, it would have to be permitted backups from the server side
only

Nowadays, if a client enters the GUI, he could ask the server for doing
these "user backups" (i mean, undesired backups for us, the system
administrators)

The clients are rent as housings, hospeded at our ISP. They remotely
administrate theirs Windows OS, through Terminal Services. At the same time,
the backups must be only done by us (the ISP)

As you may think, we (the administrators) don't want the clients to have the
ability to do backups.

Some days ago, we accomplished not to permit the clients to visualize
RESTORES, but haven't accomplished it for BACKUPS

(the option for banning restores is stored on the
</usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/client> directory)

All responses are welcome!

Mario Pareja Nieto
Área de Sistemas-OPENET
Iddeo-Retevisión I, S. A.