Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (no subject)

2001-08-01 01:38:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (no subject)
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:38:29 -0700
At 06:33 PM 7/31/2001 -0700, Konstantin 'Kastus' Shchuka wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:04:06PM -0700, W. Curtis Preston wrote:
> > Not without autosched.pl, it's not!
> >
> > It will automatically schedule your full backup for you on a set day of
> the
> > week or month.
> > All you have to do is define the incremental schedules, and it does the
> rest!
> >
> > http://www.backupcentral.com/mytools.html
> >
> > (Download the NetBackup tool set.)
>
>It looks like a dirty hack around NetBackup disabilities compared to elegant
>use of crontab in amanda.

Well.... Speaking as the dirty hacker.. ;)

Comparisons to Amanda not withstanding, I don't think it's that dirty of a
hack.  It actually works very closely with their scheduler, using its
features, but getting rid of the main complaint that many people have.

The script will create a full backup schedule for each NetBackup class.  To
use it, create a file /usr/openv/local/etc/autosched.conf, with one line
for each class. It should be 'classname:dayofmonth,' the 'dayofmonth' being
the day you want its full backup to run.  Then you put autosched.pl in cron
and run it once a day.  For each class, you must create a daily incremental
schedule, because autosched uses that to create the 'days' file for the
Full schedule.  Every day it runs, it checks to see if any classes are
supposed to receive a full backup that day.  If so, it creates a full
backup schedule with an interval of 10 days, and uses the days file from
the incremental backup for windows.  It also uses retention number 8 (You
must edit autosched.pl to change that.). It then records that it did this
in /usr/openv/local/data/autosched.dat.  Nine days later, it deletes the
schedule.  This gives the class nine days to do a full backup, but ensures
that the full backup always occurs on the same day of the month.  (You can
also specify a day of the week in autosched.conf.  If so, it will create
the full on that day of the week, with an interval of 4 days, removing it 3
days later.)

Is that so bad?

BTW, if you want to run your full backups straight from cron, you
can.  Unfortunately, if you do, and it fails, it won't get re-run until
next month.  This script supports calendar-based scheduling of full
backups, while also supporting retrying failed full backups until they succeed.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs,   your storage experts
Voice: 760 710 7017                            Fax: 760 710 7019
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com curtis AT backupcentral DOT com