Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Stuck DLT Drives in an L700 ?

2001-07-24 10:46:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Stuck DLT Drives in an L700 ?
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:46:40 -0500
The stuck drive mentioned is exactly what I am seeing with my L700 as well.
In fact, I just had one last night.

We have 8 drives currently and have had this robot for about 4 months.  The
"stuck" drives have occurred about 4 or 5 times in that period.

When a drive gets stuck for us, the robot states "intervention required" on
the front panel.  NetBackup shows the drives UP (sometimes will DOWN the stuck
drive), but stops working for all new backups.  A few that are in progress may
continue, but all new backups stay active but don't do anything until the
problem is resolved.  We are NOT using ACS.  It would be nice that when a
single drive had problems, the rest of the robot continued to work... instead
of everything coming to a halt.  Are others seeing this same thing?  Is this
somehow related to us using the robot as a TLD robot and not using ACS?

- Scott

                    john.vrla AT exxonmobil DOT com

                    Sent by:                             To:     BRohloff.CSC
AT SIKORSKY DOT COM
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    auburn.edu                           Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Re: Stuck DLT Drives in an L700 ?

                    07/23/2001 05:05 PM

We have a HP SureStore 20/700 (STK L700 clone) that has problems with
"stuck" DLT tapes.  I define stuck as partially ejected about an inch of
the tape sticks out from the drive and cannot be pulled by hand without
pushing the tape back into the drive and reloaded and unloaded manually
Another associated problem is the LED indicates that a drive(s) as
"cartridge-in" or "unloaded" when the tape drive(s) are empty.  These show
up on robtest as loaded but without a media ID.  Moving the DLT tape drive
arm down and up clears the false LED readings and makes the drive(s)
available(Idle).

We have tried different microcode,replaced robot/tape drive parts,changed
SCSI cables(down to 10 meters in length) and the problem continues.  It has
subsided somewhat,ie,it is no longer a daily occurrence with 2 to 3 drives
being tied up.

I'd like to know if this is the same kind of "stuck" you are talking about
and if you have similar LED readings.  THANKS!!!

John P. Vrla                 Infrastructure Analyst
CETS/GIS/IFS            Unix-MidRange Computing Skill Center
214-951-4736              Dallas/Pegasus Place/B-7-W39