Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Secured Backup Environment

2001-07-17 12:01:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Secured Backup Environment
From: jab AT swoop.2y DOT net (Jeffrey Barber)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:01:21 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C10ED9.B922FBA0

I need to backup multiple customers using Netbackup 3.4.1. I want to protect
each customer from seeing each others data as well as each others servers.

I have read that some people setup a VLAN using a couple different methods.
1 method was to configure the private network with a switch and router and
method 2 was to just configure a switch with VLAN and us ISL Trunking on the
media and master servers (Sun Microsystem Servers)

Veritas says that must of their customers that do shared tape backup just
puts everyone on 1 VLAN and that's it. To me this is not very secure. For
one each customer would be able to see other customers broadcast packets
thus creating  a situation where one customer can determine the IP of
another and perform a direct attack.

I am looking for pointer from the community that will help me make the right
choice for securing customers servers as well as their data.

Thanks

Jeffrey 'J' Barber

When I see the sea once more,
would the sea have seen or not seen me?

------_=_NextPart_001_01C10ED9.B922FBA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Secured Backup Environment</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I need to backup multiple customers =
using Netbackup 3.4.1. I want to protect each customer from seeing each =
others data as well as each others servers.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have read that some people setup a =
VLAN using a couple different methods. 1 method was to configure the =
private network with a switch and router and method 2 was to just =
configure a switch with VLAN and us ISL Trunking on the media and =
master servers (Sun Microsystem Servers)</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Veritas says that must of their =
customers that do shared tape backup just puts everyone on 1 VLAN and =
that's it. To me this is not very secure. For one each customer would =
be able to see other customers broadcast packets thus creating&nbsp; a =
situation where one customer can determine the IP of another and =
perform a direct attack.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am looking for pointer from the =
community that will help me make the right choice for securing =
customers servers as well as their data.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks</FONT>
</P>

<P><B><FONT COLOR=3D"#800000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Courier New">Jeffrey 'J' =
Barber</FONT></B>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Courier New">When I see the =
sea once more,</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Courier New">would the sea =
have seen or not seen me?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>