Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-vx] Help with Veritas products?

2001-07-10 12:47:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-vx] Help with Veritas products?
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:47:42 -0700
All snapshots are copy on right (or act that way), or they're not a
snapshot.  That's the definition of a snapshot.  If it's a full copy, then
it's a copy.  I'm not sure if Veritas does this with their volume manager
yet, but copies like this are usually for split-mirror backups.  This is
like EMC's BCV, Compaq's Clone, or Hitachi's ShadowImage.

(I say "or act that way" because there is one filesystem, WAFL, that acts
like copy on right, but they don't do it like anyone else.  But it's still
not a full copy.)

At 11:49 AM 7/9/2001 -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Lumpkin, Buddy wrote:
> > Also, snapshots are a full atomic copy operation while checkpoints
> > return almost instantly and have a copy-on-write behavior thereafter.
> > The result at least appears to be instantaneous.
>
>Volume snapshots are as you describe.  File system snapshots are
>copy-on-write.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs, your storage experts
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com Phone: 760 710 7017