Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] daily backups and catalogue backups

2001-06-29 15:34:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] daily backups and catalogue backups
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:34:45 -0500
You raise a good question, is the backup valid.

Well, the backup is valid.  However, all of the data may not be valid.  This
backup may have taken place when other backups were running, therefore we
may have an incomplete file backed up in one of our image directories.

But the other 30 images from last week may have been backed up successfully
because they are ASCII files and typically (*let me emphasize *TYPICALLY*),
they aren't being hit by bpdbm during backup.  Its just another way that I
use to avoid the bprecover.  Its the other 30 that I was suggesting might be
restored in a pinch versus a complete catalog recover.

So, maybe I should have clarified my answer a bit more before. My apologies
for any confusion.  I've had a few customers save themselves quite a bit of
aggrevation by being able to restore a portion of the catalog from
traditional backups.  Naturally, with this type of recovery comes some
detail that must be paid attention to, but nonetheless it may help someone
in the future.

Thanks Kathy for your reply.

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com