Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] restoring netbackup image via gnutar

2001-06-26 09:34:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] restoring netbackup image via gnutar
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com (anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:34:52 -0400
Rehan,

   If the 'mt' command in your message is in fact the one you used, then
the device you're specifying is the problem.  In Unix, a tape device will
rewind after the command is done unless you explicitly tell it not to.  In
your case, you do not want it to rewind.  To specify the non-rewind
version
of the tape drive, add an 'n' (No-rewind) to the drive number.  As such,
to get the tape drive to skip over the first file and stay at the
beginning
of the second file, use the command

        mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn fsf 1

I added the 'c' and 'b' options because in all likelihood, they were
specified when the drives were defined to NetBackup.  The 'c' stays to
use hardware compression and the 'b' says to use BSD (Berkeley Standard
Distribution) behavior.

To make sure you are at the beginning of the tape before issuing the
gnutar command, I'd explicitly rewind the tape:

        mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn rew

or you can use the 'asf' command which is the equivalent of the 'rew'
followed by the 'fsf'.

One final note.   Since your tapes where created on a DLT7000, you may
have
problems reading them on a DTL4000.  I don't believe the tape formats are
compatable.  However, the other way around would work (ie. tapes created
on a DLT4000 should be readable on a DLT7000).

-- Tony Guzzi
Solutions Engineer, AssuredRestore team
Storability, Inc.

www.storabilility.com
The Leading Provider of Automated Storage Assurance for the Enterprise