Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: start notify and multiple data streams

2001-06-20 19:39:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: start notify and multiple data streams
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:39:14 -0700
This is a nice idea except for one thing.  It doesn't account for jobs that
are in QUEUED.  If a job is queued, it will not have a stream_number
yet.  In fact, it won't even have a process on the client yet.

That's why we use bpdbjobs to check for queued jobs.  Check out:
http://www.backupcentral.com/bpstart.workaround.tar.gz

At 05:09 PM 6/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Xu,
>
>I am in the process of testing a script to deal with this issue.  This
>start_notify script uses 'if STREAM_NUMBER=1 then' <put our database in hot
>backup mode>.  Each stream that starts creates it's own tmp file named
>stream"$STREAM_NUMBER".active.  Each stream that ends deletes it's own
>stream"$STREAM_NUMBER".active file and looks for any others.  If any other
>.active files exist, the script just exits, otherwise, it brings the
>database out of hot backup mode.
>We will set up a cron job to pull the database out of hotbackup in the
>mornings and clean up any leftover .active files just in case the end_notify
>fails for any reason.
>
>Good Luck,
>Melinda Orms
>Evans & Sutherland

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs, your storage experts
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com Phone: 760 631 7991