Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status 84's

2001-06-18 23:10:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status 84's
From: TerryGSpicuzza AT Eaton DOT com (Spicuzza, Terry G)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:10:30 -0400

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0F86D.653F60F0

Question regarding status 84, is there anyone out there that has experienced
a high volume of 84's on .

Here is the tape SAN configuration:

HP-UX 11.00
NBU 3.2, Patch J0820443
STK L700
9840 Fiber Drives with 1.28.122 microcode
Brocade/STK Silkworm 2800 with Fabric O/S 2.1.5a
NBU SSO 3.2
HBA HP PCI Tachyon TL A5158A rel B.11.00.03

Here is the situation.  We are receiving numerous status 84's on backups
which involve the tape SAN.  Now, I know there isn't a problem with the
tapes or drives.  Some of the backups are receiving the 84 without backing
up any data.  This error also occurs when a tape has ended and a new one is
mounted in the middle of a backup.

Question:  When NBU needs a new tape to continue a backup, where is the data
that is being sent buffered at?

Our data buffers on the servers are at the default of 32k and the switch has
a 2 meg buffer for each port.  Is this enough buffering to swap out a tape
and bring in a new one.

Thank you,

Terry

> Terry Spicuzza
> Ext. 5626

 <<Spicuzza, Terry G.vcf>>

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0F86D.653F60F0
        filename="Spicuzza, Terry G.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Spicuzza;Terry
FN:Spicuzza, Terry G
ORG:Corporate;TCC
TEL;WORK;VOICE:440-954-5626
TEL;WORK;VOICE:621-5626
ADR;WORK:;;34899 Curtis Boulevard;Eastlake;OH;44095;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:34899 Curtis Boulevard=0D=0AEastlake, OH
44095=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:TerryGSpicuzza AT Eaton DOT com
REV:20010525T160851Z
END:VCARD

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0F86D.653F60F0--