Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Not correctly excluding files on NT

2001-06-07 13:09:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Not correctly excluding files on NT
From: hskelly AT colltech DOT com (Harold Skelly Jr.)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
Gurus:

I've just left a client trying an evaluation copy of NBU 3.4 in a mixed
NT/Linux environment.  There is one master/media server (NT 4.0 at
unknown service pack), a 7 tape/1 drive robot (Dell OEMed ATL?) and
about 6 clients.  The latest NBU patch has been applied.

The master server is booted from a PERC RAID disk which is divided into
C, and F-K partitions.  The location of Veritas s/w is
g:\program files\veritas.  When I look at the Admin GUI->start->configure
netbackup window, I see all the clients.  I click on the master server
as client icon to modify specific features for this client.  One of these
is an 'exclude' tab.  NBU default setup excludes a bunch of lock
files and other open goodies that are displayed on the list.  I've also
excluded the C:\ directory (I'm specifically not running OTM due to
conflict with Double Take software installed to make this a mirror
host of another machine.)

PROBLEM:  Using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive fires up jobs for drive C as
well as one each for F-K.  Night before last, it also gave error 1.
The specifically excluded files on the G partition being the
open/locked files that were not backed up.  I had temporarily worked
around the 'still backing up the excluded C drive' problem by
explicitly listing only drives F-K in the 'Files' list instead of
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.  Now why is it still barfing on the files it should
be excluding?  It doesn't seem to be looking at the exclude list at
all!

TIA,
Hal

  \ \ \                 | Hal Skelly, consultant
 \ \ * *                        | Solaris, Backup, Storage Management
\\ *  COLLECTIVE                | BEST WAY:  hskelly AT colltech DOT com
 \*                             | (619) 218-2291 (cell)
  *                             | http://www.colltech.com