Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplicating Images to Another NBU Server

2001-05-22 16:24:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplicating Images to Another NBU Server
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:24:09 -0400
I've been looking into that but I would like to just extend the retention
period for one image on the tape instead of all of them that happen to reside
there by luck of the draw. I've reviewed the bpexpdate command and it looks as
though I might be able to use the recalculate and backupid options to change
the retention period for a single image. All I need to know now is how to find
the backupid name for my images. I used the GUI to list the images on tape but
my names are so long, they get cut off and I don't get a complete name. What is
the CLI equivalent for the "Images on Media" report from the GUI. Is changing
the retention period for a single image on a tape even a doable thing.

Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "Gregory Floro" <gregory.floro AT photobition DOT com> 05/22/01 03:04PM >>>
Just a guess at this but, couldn't you just increase the retention policy
of those images/media [bpexpdate] and then eject the media from the
library?

dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com writes:
>I have some images that normally have a 5 week retention period but I
>have a need to keep them around for a while longer. Because I'm tight on
>space in my library, merely changing the expiration date will not serve
>my purpose. The NBU Systems Administrator's Guide indicates "It is
>possible to duplicate from one server to another" as long as the original
>is in a drive on the server that owns the tape. I would like to duplicate
>a couple of images from one NBU Master to another NBU Master that resides
>in a different physical location. They are both on the same network.
>
>Has anyone ever done this before? What pitfalls should I be looking at?
>The book is not intuitively obvious on how to set up this scenario using
>the GUI so I'm guessing I will be using the bpduplicate command but
>that's all I've figured out so far.
>
>Anybody out there have any advice that has done this before? I sure could
>use a sample command. It looks like I have to execute the command on the
>target server pointing to the source host that owns the images to be
>duplicated.
>
>Somebody throw me a bone.
>
>Regards,
>Dennis
>
>Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
>Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it
>right
>
>Dennis F. Dwyer
>Enterprise Storage Manager
>Tampa Electric Company
>
>(813) 225-5181  - Voice
>(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Gregory Floro                            T. 212-502-9475
IT Manager                                 F. 212-594-1709
Photobition NY                           gregory.floro AT photobition DOT com
"Press any key to continue or any other key to quit!"