Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Two Questions

2001-05-19 10:14:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Two Questions
From: rajeev AT tigr DOT org (Karamchedu, Rajeev K.)
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 10:14:50 -0400
Greetings

A few nagging questions have cropped up in our
initial offsite rotation implementation schemes.
I thought I should ask the several wise ones here
for their opinions

1) Diff. Incrementals: Given a week's full of diff.
incremental backups (and for e.g. a retention policy of
1 week), how does NB expire the incrementals ? (sequentially
or all at once)

   week #1               week #2
S M T W T F Sat    S M T W T F Sat
F D D D D D F          ^

In this case, if I need to do a restore on Tue, week #2,
how can I do that if the week#1 Monday incremental has expired ?

2) Also, is there a command in NB that you know of which can
  give me the list of all the tapes that have images
  older than N days and their expiration dates
  --> (for e.g. identify them for offsite storage)

3) what does bpVault exactly do ? we do not necessarily want to
duplicate a lot of media but only for disaster recovery purposes,
but we definitely want to start yanking the tapes out of the library
and making room and sending them offsite. I would appreciate input
from existing users of bpVault and can donate some of your time to
talk about it.

Thank you

~ Rajeev
301 610 5995