Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Finding error types

2001-05-15 07:24:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Finding error types
From: wyatt.song AT veritas DOT com (Wyatt Song)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:24:55 +1000
Nicholas,

Although the place where this information appears on documentation is not
the most appropriate, you can find it on your troubleshooting guide under
the section: using logs and report.

All the types and their corresponding type numbers are listed:
        1 = unkown
        2 = General
        4 = Backup
        8 = Archive
        16 = Retrieve
        32 = Security
        64 = Backup Status
        128 = Media Device

Now in the 3rd field of bperror -t <type> output you will see the error type
number which is a sum of one or more of the above numbers.  For example, 130
= 128 + 2, meaning this error message is both of type General and Media
Device, which will appear on the output for both bperror -t general and
bperror -t mediadev.  72 = 64 + 8, therefore appears on both Backup Status
and Archive type report, 136 = 128 + 8 etc.

Error type code is used to classify bperror messages, where as backup status
code is given to distinctively define the backup status.  And you will
notice all back status code will appear in bperror -t BACKSTAT report.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Wyatt