Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Offsite options of vmchange

2001-05-04 14:38:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Offsite options of vmchange
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
http://www.veritas.com/us/products/netbackup/nboptions.h
tml#nbvault

--BEGIN INSERT FROM VERITAS WEB SITE----
A comprehensive disaster recovery plan often includes
contingencies that address conditions where primary
data sites are fully inaccessible. As a key strategy
for data protection, vaulting encompasses the
management of duplicate backup media that is typically
stored at an offsite location, or "vault". Hence, when
primary data sites are rendered inaccessible - perhaps
from a hurricane, an earthquake, or even a flooded
computer room - administrators may utilize
the "vaulted" backup media to restore applications and
data on remote systems.

Strangely enough, though, many employ manual processes
when vaulting. Quite frequently, an Excel spreadsheet
serves as the master tracking document. But, in dire
times, when vault media needs to be used to restore
critical systems, who wants to rely on an Excel
spreadsheet that, by accident, may not have been
updated to reflect backups that completed just a day
ago, or even an hour ago?

Fully integrated with VERITAS NetBackupTM, NetBackupTM
Vault Extension automates the management of offsite
media. It handles the ejection of duplicate backup tape
media to be sent to the vault and the injection
of "expired" media to be brought back from the vault
for re-use. Comprehensive reports, which may be
customized to fit formats from leading vault providers
such as Datasafe and Iron Mountain, provide inventory
information, granular down to the exact offsite media
slot, and more.
---END INSERT---

Or you can check out my duplication scripts on the
Advanced NetBackup Scripting site to see if that fits
your needs temporarily.

David

Quoting "Jason Ahrens [ahrensj AT psi DOT ca]"
<AhrensJ AT psi DOT ca>:

> I guess my next question then, is what is bpVault. I
did some searches and
> poking around on the Veritas website and came up
empty, and searched the
> entire server for any files containing 'vault' in the
name, to no avail...

> Jason
bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting