Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DR on a Master Server

2001-05-03 08:59:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DR on a Master Server
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 05:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mark:

Its not that simple.

The media server has a couple of its own dbs that need
to be secured, mainly the mediaDB.  This contains some
information about all of the tapes that it has written
backup images to.

I suppose you could fashion a solution to this problem,
but I don't know that I would, given the number of
variables it includes.

Having said that, what you could probably do is have a
recovery area on your media server that has enough disk
space for all of your master server dbs.  I'd probably
maintain the same directory structure underneath this
mount point.  This will allow you to recover those dbs
in the event of a disaster.

Then I would create a mediaprodDB mount point somewhere
and move all my media server DBs, netbackup/db and
volmgr/database, (including the bp.conf and vm.conf
files) there, linking them back to where nbu expects to
see them.

So now you have

/usr2/local/mastDBrecover - Your recovery area
I'd include my bp.conf and vm.conf files in this too.

and

/usr/local/mediaprodDB -Your production Media Server DBs

If your Master goes south and you can't recover it
within an acceptable timeframe, then you could down all
Media Mgr daemons on the Media Server - Recover the
MasterServer DBs to the recovery area, remove current
links to the MediaprodDBs and the .conf files, link
those mastDBs to the location nbu expects to see them,
link your bp.conf and vm.conf from the mastDBrecover
area to their respective locations and you may have to
reconfigure the hardware too at this point (which isn't
all that painful).  Finally, do a uname -S and change
it to the Master Server name, change the IPaddr, etc.

Starting the daemons should work at this point, unless
I have missed something in my haste.

As you can see, there are alot of variables, but
doable.  It may however be cheaper (so you can
vacation) to buy another Sun box and VCS to protect
your NBU Master Server, but that's another discussion
entirely.

David Chapa

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
---------------------------------------
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting

Quoting Mark Shaw <Mark.Shaw AT morse DOT com>:

> All,
>
> we're looking at putting some processes in place in
order to perform a
> disaster recovery test on our Master server. We have
2 x Sun E450 boxes in
> place, both sharing the same L700 library, one Master
and the other Media.
> If we wanted to 'promote' the Media server to become
a master server, is it
> just a case of restoring the NBU db onto the Media
server and changing the
> bp.conf file to point to the Media instead of
the 'dead' Master server?