Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Novell backups - again

2001-04-06 08:02:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Novell backups - again
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:02:03 -0400
I have mine set up as "one target, one machine" and caveat that for NDS. We
have an NDS machine that I backup differently than other Novell systems. I
built two targets on that system (one for NDS and one for the file system).
Those that remain have a single target to include all the volumes that may
reside on that box. most have a single SYS volume but some have a VOL1 and a
PROD volume in addition to SYS. I set up a single target that does them all. In
some cases I have had users come and ask me to backup specific
files/directories separately. To accommodate this I built another class that
executes a backup of the server in question and on that server I've built a
separate TARGET that includes only the files/directories I'm interested in.
Kinda of klugy but it serves my purpose and it works.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Bob Bakh <bbakh AT veritas DOT com> 04/05/01 06:18PM >>>
You can do single file backups from the client, so you can set up a user
initiated backup schedule for the client and run single file backups that
way, or set up an include list for a particular schedule and run it
automatically ( I think )

As for your other problem, if you set up the Novell job to backup all the
volumes under one target this could happen.  I'm a big fan of one target one
volume, and one target for NDS and one target for NetWare specific
information.  Then back them up in one file list.

Bob