Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Restore & duplicates

2001-03-30 10:47:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Restore & duplicates
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:47:06 -0600
David:
I'm not sure if you have gotten a reply on this as of yet, but here it is
from my experience using the product since version 1.6.

if you are duplicating an image, say client_XXXXXXXXX and you initiate a
restore that needs to use the tape in use by the duplication stream, what
happens is the restore request waits for the tape to become available.  That
happens when the duplication STREAM (of that particular image dup) is done.
When it is, the restore job then has its chance to perform his job.  If
there is another duplication STREAM for another image on that same tape, it
will then WAIT (from my experience, I've seen it; I've watched it  while
testing my own duplication scripts) until that tape is available before
starting that particular Duplication stream of the next image.  However, if
you are duplicating based on schedule type, class name, schedule name, then
that duplication stream will more than likely consist of SEVERAL images, in
which case you may be waiting some time for the restore to occur.

It all depends on how you are duplicating in the first place.

Now how and why your dupes failed is a different story.

Comments from Veritas SE's/Product SME's?

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting