Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Offsite backups

2001-03-23 14:21:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Offsite backups
From: Douglas.Ritschel AT fnc.fujitsu DOT com (Douglas Ritschel)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:21:41 -0500
I was told that a Full backup in one class does not affect the
incremental in another class. Evan though they are backing up the same
files.

I'm planning the following scenario. We have a terabyte of data to
backup, but I am simplifying it here.

Suppose I have the following two classes, onsite and offsite. They both
backup client machine1, files c:\data. Both have a cumulative
incremental and a full schedule.

I run the onsite full on the first Sunday of the month followed by the
Cumulative incremental the rest of the days of the month. On the third
Sunday of the month, I run the full from the Offsite class. I run the
offsite Cumulative incremental on the 1st, 2nd and 4th Sundays of the
month.

My question is, will the offsite full backup that runs on the third
Sunday of the month affect the onsite incrementals that occur following
it. In other words, will the onsite incrementals contain files that
changed since the onsite full backup from the 1st Sunday of the month,
or only files that have changed since the offsite full backup from the
3rd Sunday of the month. I was told by BPVault tech support, that since
they are in separate classes, the fulls in one do not affect the
incrementals in the other.

If it's not clear what I am asking, I can explain it further.

--
Douglas Ritschel
Fujitsu Network Communications