Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recovering a Master server and multiple media servers

2001-03-22 09:05:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recovering a Master server and multiple media servers
From: Matt.Long AT marriott DOT com (Long, Matt)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:05:14 -0500
All,

        My company has recently converted its enterprise wide backup systems
from TSM (ADSM) to Netbackup and we have been doing extensive testing of the
restore process using "bprecover" etc.  Has anyone else executed a restore
of a Master server and multiple media servers to one machine before?  We
have a DR plan and have executed a full restore of some of our systems.   I
was wondering if anyone else has performed this activity and what
recommendations you may have for this type of configuration to reduce the
restore process time.  We also use the change_copy.ksh script which sets the
mpc flag of the tape from a 1 to a 2 so the database can use the tape etc.
This process is very laborious and eats alot of time.  We had to tweak the
script to get the right volumes updated etc at the test too. We also ran
into some issues with the robotic configuration and getting the DB to
realize that the robot was independent from the old configuration.  Its my
hope that Veritas will do something about this in future releases of the
software to support large enterprise test restores.  Let me know what you
think and what you may have to add.  We currently have a Master cluster and
4 Media servers. The environment we restore is to one Master server with all
media servers combined on one system and one STK 9710 silo with 9840 tape
drives.

Matt Long
Technical Analyst
Systems Administration