Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master Server with Multiple Interfaces

2001-03-20 18:06:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master Server with Multiple Interfaces
From: wei AT colltech DOT com (Michael Wei)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:06:53 -0600 (CST)
This is a bit more complicated.  The actual TCP connection that carries the
backup DATA is always initiated from the media server (which is picked
according to your class/storage unit definition) to the client.  Therefore
the local routing table on the media server decides which interface it'll
use to contact the client.  Most of the Unices will use that particular
interface's address's IP address as the source IP address for that
connection.

If the both the media server and the client are multi homed, and you want
the backup to flow on a particular subnet, you can either use an interface
specific name of the client in the client name definition, or you can have
the media server use its local host file first for name resolution (like
/etc/nsswtich.conf on Solaris, file before dns) and force
the media server to think the client being on a particular subnet.

--Mike