Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] STATUS 14 - File Write Failed Error ...

2001-03-19 09:47:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] STATUS 14 - File Write Failed Error ...
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:47:54 -0500
Hopefully someone out there has seen this before and can help me out.

The NBU Environment:

Sun E450 Master Server w/L11000 library attached
No Media Servers
NBU 3.2GA

Over the course of the last year I've had several occasions where some of my NT
server backups start failing with a STATUS 14 error (File Write Failed). These
errors appear out of no where and there are no known changes made to the server
environment prior to the errors starting to appear. Here is a sampling of the
error messages that appear in the bpkar file on the NT server:

FTL - tar file write error (10054)
INF - Exit Status 14: file write failed
WRN - Timeout (300) while waiting for message "Clear Archive Bits"

Prior to those messages there are many messages that indicate files are being
skipped with no indication as to why. They look like system files and Norton
Anti-Virus files. There are also files being skipped because they are open ,
but there are messages attached to those that indicate that.

In the past I've seen these problems appear and mysteriously disappear when a
supervisor card in our CISCO Catalyst 5500 switch was replaced. Although this
instance has occurred 3 times (involving 18 servers that use that switch) it
cannot be attributed to this problem because this time it's only one server and
it is not on a switch.

Most of the logs yield little to no troubleshooting information and the
troubleshooting guide is of little help once you rule out the three potential
reasons it gives for the problem.

Has anyone else out there experienced this and if so ... what did you do to
troubleshoot and fix it?

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice