Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup partially successful

2001-03-16 15:34:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup partially successful
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:34:36 -0600
Hello Martin

A stale NFS file handle results from an NFS mount where the server of the disk
had been taken down at some point, some maintenance done and brought back up
such that the inodes no longer matches.   When an NFS server comes back up, the
NFS client will try to continue from where they left off and because a bunch of
stuff changed on the server, it can't do so hence the stale file handle.
Rebooting the NFS client is the usual answer though if you can unmount the
filesystem and remount it, you'll be fine too, the trick there is that usually
some process will have the filesystem open and you can't unmount till the
process is done with it, you may be able to identify the process with the
command fuser (see a man page on fuser) and cause it to exit or you can try to
muck with the mtab file, however rebooting is far easier.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Broadband Services
3 Allen Center 3AC872e
ph (713) 345-6863
pg pagejwang AT skytel DOT com

|--------+-------------------------------->
|        |          Martin.Bauer@storagene|
|        |          tworks.com            |
|        |                                |
|        |          03/16/01 02:06 PM     |
|        |                                |
|--------+-------------------------------->
  |       To:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

  |       cc:     (bcc: John Wang/Contractor/Enron Communications)             |
  |       Subject:     [Veritas-bu] backup partially successful                |

Hi there,

I am getting a status code 1 on the backup of a client, and in going into my
log I am finding the following error:

ERR - Cannot lstat /mnt.  Errno=116: Stale NFS file handle

Can somebody explain this to me, and if possible a solution?

Thanks for the help,

Marty Bauer